Jeff L. Thigpen Register of Deeds

Monday, December 06, 2004

Sworn out and Sworn In---A Day of Good Deeds!

Today was a very good day. I had my last meeting as a Commissioner. I believe the transition to the new board will be a good one. I made many points in my "farewell address"--most of which I can recall due to my fatigue, but I will always count it as an honor to serve in that position. The issues always complex and vexing, the staff and citizens outstanding, and while it is a part-time job--it is an honorable profession. Even in the intense partisan bickering and chaos that followed, commissioner meetings were like Friday night football games to me. I always felt those soul-stirring and electric feelings before the big meetings and games. The feelings that come when we feel a sense of purpose. Quite gratifying as well as addicting at times. I'll miss it but I will not be too far away!

My first day in the Register of Deeds office was great! The lawyers and paralegals were especially happy that they now have 5 cent copy costs. I had the opportunity to meet employees of the office. They were welcoming and I look forward to working with them. I have lots of ideas and thoughts, but I am especially ready to listen to the employees and gain their input on how to move the office in a positive direction.

I received a note from a magistrate informing me that he'd just performed a marriage under paperwork with my name as Register of Deeds. I wish them well...



1 Comments:

  • Hey Jeff,

    How does one send an email to you these days? Assuming your Guilford address is no more.

    Congratulations on a successful day in your new job.

    - your videographer
    http://chewok.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Chewie, at 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home