Jeff L. Thigpen Register of Deeds

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Meeting "Pistol Pete" Maravich...

I attended the Campbell College Basketball Camp in the mid 80's. I remember being in an old gym in Angier and being introduced to "Pistol Pete". I shoke is hand, said "hi", and didn't figure much about it. I didn't know much about him, but over the next hour I watched him do unbelievable ball tricks.

The highlight was when he bounced the basketball between his legs in one powerful motion that drove the ball about 30 feet in the air (missing his privates I might add!).

We were amazed. He also sank several half court shots before retiring from his session with us. Afterwords, I lost the free throw shooting contest. Oh well, got to met a legend.

1 Comments:

  • My dad attended Campbell Basketball Camp with Pete when he was still known as Petey. Petey played on the campers' all-star team against the college players...when he was 11. He wasn't strong enough to shoot a jumper, but he had a deadly set shot.

    By Blogger Patrick Eakes, at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home