Jeff L. Thigpen Register of Deeds

Friday, February 23, 2007

Burgaw

NC Spin wrote a little piece on my hometown. I forgot to post it back in November. Had lunch with Judge Gary Trawick who was in town for a trial. Burgaw is growing and the population is shifting as well. New developments are popping up everywhere and the land values are rising. To some degree the development is needed and will serve the overall well-being of the area.

In Guilford County at the turn of the 20th century there were 100,000 residents and 450,000 agricultural acres. At the turn of the 21st century, we have 450,000 residents and at around 100,000 agricultural acres or less. While I appreciate and understand the needs and concerns around constantly following land development, I think about the farm I grew up near and realize that "life on the land" was a privilege and may not a guaranteed experience for my children.

I hope there will continue to be strong conservation efforts here and in Pender County coupled with economic development.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home