Jeff L. Thigpen Register of Deeds

Monday, November 12, 2007

Greensboro City Commissioners

A long and busy week has kept me from congratulating the new and re-elected former County Commissioners on the Greensboro City Council. Mike Barber, Mary Rakestraw, and Trudy Wade.

I've worked with them all and wish them well over the next two years. I have worked closest to Mike. I have always appreciated his thoughtful nature and he's been a more independent voice on Council. While Mary and Trudy were on the opposite side on my aisle (so to speak) on the Board of Commissioners, I can see potential gifts they bring to this elected office. I've admired Mary because, even in our disagreements, she's never forgotten she represents "everyday" people. I'll admit, some of those people might never vote for Mr. Deeds, but Mary has knocked on about as many doors as me, maybe more. I appreciate that even though we come at many issues differently.

Trudy Wade will make staff earn their keep. A message to key City staff, put toner in your copiers and go ahead and give her your cell numbers. She'll ask lots of questions and is not afraid to be a dissenting voice. I thought her mailings distorted Sandy Carmany's position on several key issues, but she tapped into a broad discontent that went to the polls on election day. Her challenge will be to focus her energy toward integrating those sentiments into a meaningful direction for City residents.

I wish them all well and look forward to working with them in my capacity and in Guilford County's Strategic Planning process. Hopefully, there will be opportunities to improve Guilford County and City of Greensboro working relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home