Jeff L. Thigpen Register of Deeds

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Bill Martin Remembered

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Public servant. Well-reasoned. Reflective Listener. Soft-spoken. Practically Intellectual. Stature. Salt of the Earth.

These words immediately come to my mind. I can't remember when I met Bill--maybe 15 years ago at a community meeting about child welfare or Smart Start. My most vivid memory of Bill was not Bill. The memory comes from many of Bill's constituents that I met over a four or five year period when he served in the State Senate. That's why the first word mentioned was public servant.

Bill made himself available to those he represented in a powerful way. He was respected, and although in Raleigh, he was present to help those most in need in his district. Those voters I met spoke highly of Bill and I remembered their words when I met him.

From the moment I met him, Bill listened, reasoned, and made me feel like I had something positive to offer whatever the issue we discussed. Those characteristics make an average elected official a great one.

Bill Martin was a great elected official. My prayers are with his family.

2 Comments:

  • Jeff:

    "Public servant. Well-reasoned. Reflective Listener. Soft-spoken. Practically Intellectual. Stature. Salt of the Earth."

    Your assessment of Bill Martin is right on target. I would only add "all around nice guy."

    I first met Bill twenty-some years ago when we were both serving our first terms in the state Senate (it was my only term; Bill served many terms). I was a Republican and Bill was a Democrat. And, we didn't always agree on the issues.

    Bill never seemed to take political differences in a personal way. He would quietly listen to different viewpoints and politely respond. He was a kind and gentle soul who wouldn't engage himself in some of the hardball politics that goes on down in the General Assembly.

    I was a diehard Republican and some of the senate Democrats weren't real pleased to see me coming in the door. But, not Bill Martin. Bill always smiled and seemed to be genuinely happy to see me; asking questions about my family and my law practice.

    He was a real gentleman. If there were more politicians like Bill Martin, the world would be a better place.

    Wendell Sawyer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:40 PM  

  • Wendell, I totally agree-the world would be a better place.

    By Blogger Jeff L. Thigpen, at 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home