Jeff L. Thigpen Register of Deeds

Monday, January 22, 2007

Online Marriage Application! Fresh for the Valentine Season!

Tell your single friends when they want to get married, save time in the Register of Deeds office through our online marriage application!


  • Why no surname for the Groom? What if the male wishes to change his name upon marriage?

    By Anonymous beth, at 5:00 PM  

  • Beth,

    I understand your inquiry. As Register of Deeds and based on NC General Statute 51 (which deals with marriages), we are not legally required or empowered by law to request the change in the Groom's surname. NC Vital Records provides Register of Deeds offices with the marriage application format.

    As you may know, a legal name change also requires a change in the person's birth certificate.

    Based on current law, if the male wishes to change his name upon marriage he should go to the Clerk of Court's office and request a legal name change.

    The Clerk of Court's office can give you more information at ph. 574-4304 in Special Proceedings.

    By Blogger Jeff L. Thigpen, at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home