Jeff L. Thigpen Register of Deeds

Friday, September 24, 2004

E-Recording legislation did not begin with my opponent!

My opponent at the Two Art Chicks candidate forum talked about going to Sen. Phil Berger (R-Rockingham Co.) to create legislation for E-Recording. While there is legislation submitted by Sen. Berger and Guilford County is now signed onto the legislation, my opponent was not the founder of E-Recording legislation in N.C. And yes, there were precursors to Sen. Berger's legislation and I believe she is taking more credit than is due. Do not be misled.

Here are the facts. Mecklenberg County Register of Deeds Judy Gibson was able to get local legislation during the 2002 session (SL 2002-115) that allowed her to move forward with electronic recording. That bill included Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties. In 2003, 5 other counties joined the list with another local bill (SL 2002-115) which passed in the 2003 session. This bill added Durham, Harnett, Moore, New Hanover, and Randolph counties to the original list.

Over the past several months, more counties have shown interest in signing onto legislation for e-recording. That's because there has been a coordinated effort by Register of Deeds across NC to get legislation enacted and introduce LOCAL legislation for E-recording. Guilford County is a part of the 3rd round of this effort, not the 1st!

I appreciate Sen. Berger's leadership on the issue as well as Sen. Katie Dorsett (D) from Guilford Co. as a co-signer. I support the legislation. But my opponent is attempting to take more credit than is due to her.

I appreciate my opponent agreeing to be part of an ongoing effort, but now you know the rest of the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home