Jeff L. Thigpen Register of Deeds

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Holiday Tree, Oh let's talk about something that really matters!

Trees have been transplanted over the past month in homes across America--including my own and it looks nice. The Mayor of Boston flip-flops! Interesting to see Bill O' Reilly defend the Christmas Tree. Then NBC has Tucker Carlson discuss how the Christian Right is seeking to reclaim the "Christmas" tree from the Holiday fanatics. By not calling it a Christmas tree, the Liberty Counsel has threatened to sue over the secularization of Christmas. Excuse me?

I had to think about what I always called the tree. To express my Christian virility, I must say.. I say "Christmas Tree". But I've never held any deep seated spiritual insecurities for those who prefer calling it a holiday tree. And I must admit, I've slipped, and said holiday tree every now and again. Not to forget my faith, but to just acknowledge that I respect these are holidays.

The most interesting thing is the Christmas tree is a custom, or tradition- started by the Germans of all folks. If you don't believe me, just check out the History Channel. They also have some rather pagan connotations related to greenery this time of year. Can someone show me which purity law says following Jesus means I must have a Christmas Tree, Holiday Tree, or any TREE?!? Or defend it to the death?

Don't get me wrong, but this debate about the Christmas tree seems a bit petty. What then is the position on Jesus verses Santa Claus? The tree competes for these icons! While I'm all about presents, what about the fervor with Black Eyes on Black Friday? The commercial nature of the season surrounds the Christmas Tree or any afore named tree.

I'd prefer to celebrate my faith and know this is truly a special time of the year that calls on us to a greater humanity in the name of our collective faith traditions.

Julie Polter says it better than I can, on waiting and hope reference Old and New Testaments.

3 Comments:

  • Yeah, the 11/25 Commission is looking into the tree issue and making ongoing recommendations....

    You make a good point!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:16 AM  

  • I'll have to say that I agree, Jeff. Even though I'm guilty of enjoying the sights, sounds etc. of this season, I'm trying to stay focused celebrating my faith also.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 PM  

  • taking the christ out of christmas and the jesus out of christ, thanks heathens, wal mart, and Bill O'reilly alike!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home